These Keto Shortbread Cookies are the perfect thing to bring to holiday parties. They’ve got just 1g net carb for 10 cookie bites.
"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away." -Wham!
Ok, it might be a little early for holiday music, but I've decided to get a jump on the season and come up with a good Keto Shortbread Cookie recipe for Christmas. To get in the mood, I watched a few old Christmas music videos from my childhood. My favorite one has to be "Last Christmas" from Wham. (video below) It takes place over the course of a ski weekend among old friends. Friends with very puffy jackets and very fluffy hair. And, of course, unrequited love in their hearts. This video is just chocked full of longing glances.
But let's talk about the teeny tiny Keto shortbread cookies that these Christmas tunes inspired.
I decided to take a popular shortbread cookie recipe of mine and use it to make itty bitty party cookies. The miniature size of the cookies makes them perfect for the holidays, when everyone is looking for something to stand around and nosh on. Well, these little beauties totally fit the bill.
These low carb cookies are sweet and buttery with a very subtle almond and coconut flavor.
And the great thing about these low carb shortbread cookie bites is that it takes 10 of them to equal 1g net carbs.
So you can afford to eat a handful, and still stay on your low carb diet. How many other cookies can you say the same of? I topped the cookie bites with festive red and green frosting and a sprinkling of shredded coconut to stand in for sugary sprinkles. It's like a light dusting of snow.
Or like the glint of love in George Michael's soulful eyes.
Keto Shortbread Cookie Bites
These low carb shortbread cookie bites are the perfect thing to bring to holiday parties. They've got just 1g net carb for 10 cookie bites.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 14
- Total Time: 44 minutes
- Yield: 190 cookie bites 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
⅓ cup coconut flour
⅔ cup super fine almond flour*
¼ cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
½ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon almond extract
6 teaspoons heavy whipping cream, divided
6 tablespoons Confectioner's Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener, divided
red and green food coloring
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together all dry cookie ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add almond extract and softened butter and beat into the dry ingredients using an electric mixer until smooth and combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper to between ⅛ and ¼ inch thick.
- Place the dough into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm it up enough to handle easily. May take a little longer, depending on how cold your freezer is.
- Cut the dough into ¾ inch square pieces and add the pieces to the two cookie sheets, leaving at least ½ inch between each cookie. Return the dough to the freezer as needed to keep it stiff enough to work with.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until edges are just beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool on the pan for at least 30 minutes before frosting. The cookies will come out of the oven very soft, but will firm up as they cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 teaspoons heavy whipping cream with 3 tablespoons powdered sweetener. Check the consistency, and if it is too thick to spread easily, then add a little more cream, and if it's too watery, then add more sweetener. Mix in several drops of food coloring until you get to your desired color. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Use a butter knife to frost the cookie bites.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of the frosting.
*If you take these cookies to a party, make sure to clearly mark that they contain nuts. Most people don’t expect cookies to use almond flour, so people with nut allergies might inadvertently eat them.
- Serving Size: 10 cookie bites
- Calories: 82
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Low Carb Cookie Bites, Keto Cookie Bites, Low Carb Shortbread Cookies, Keto Shortbread Cookies