Low Carb Keto Banana Cream Pie
Today's recipe is for banana cream pie, the ultimate weapon if you ever find yourself in a food fight.
Bananas are off limits on a low carb diet, but this recipe only uses banana extract so it's perfectly above board. I was amazed at how close the taste was to actual ripe bananas. It tastes just like the real thing, but with a fraction of the carbs.
The banana cream filling is made from coconut milk, egg yolks and cream cheese with whipped cream folded in. It's got a nut flour crumble crust and is topped with even more whipped cream. The result is an extremely decadent dessert with only 7g net carbs per slice.
So while it may be very satisfying to hit someone in the face with a banana cream pie, please try and refrain.
This pie is far too delicious to waste.
Low Carb Banana Cream Pie
13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon banana extract
12 oz full fat cream cheese, softened
yellow food coloring (optional)
1 envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatine
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoons boiling water
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup super fine almond Flour
1/3 cup ground flax seed meal
1/3 cup unflavored or vanilla Whey Protein Powder
2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Separate the eggs from the yolks and beat the yolks slightly. Heat the coconut milk in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. You want the coconut milk to be hot but not boiling.
2. Slowly beat 1/4 cup of the hot coconut milk into the eggs to temper them. Return the yolk mixture to the sauce pan and lower the heat to Low.
3. Mix the sweetener and Xanthan Gum together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the coconut milk mixture and mix in.
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in banana and vanilla extracts.
6. Add to a medium sized bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that a skin doesn't form. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Test to make sure that it is cold all the way through.
7. Right after the filling goes into the fridge, you should make up the crust.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a pie pan with cooking spray.
9. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add in the melted butter and mix until a crumble crust forms.
10. Press the crust into the pie pan with your fingers until it is evenly distributed. Poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork.
11. Bake for 10 minutes until browned around the edges. Allow to cool on the countertop as you wait for the filling to chill.
12. Pour one tablespoon cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top to soften it. After 2 minutes, stir in 1 tablespoon hot water until all gelatin has dissolved.
13. Using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons powdered sweetener until soft peaks form. Slowly pour in dissolved gelatin mixture and beat until stiff.
14. In large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the chilled banana pudding, a little at a time. Add in few drops of yellow food coloring, if it doesn't look yellow enough.
15. Fold half the whipped cream into the cream cheese pudding mixture.
16. Spread filling into the cooled crust. Top with the remaining whipped cream.
17. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
PREP TIME: 20 MIN COOK TIME: 20 MIN
CHILL TIME: 5 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 580 Fat 56g Protein 11g Carb 11g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 7g