Low Carb Bruschetta
I had an disagreement with my husband the other day about how to pronounce "bruschetta".
He says bru-she-ta, and I say bru-ske-ta. We had to turn to the Internet for the answer. (below)
It's good to be the pronunciation queen.
And today I am happy to pass on a recipe for low carb bruschetta. For this recipe, you'll need to pick up some Joseph's Lavash Bread. You can find it online on Amazon or in the bread section of Walmart. These low carb wraps make really good baked pita chips. That's what we'll use for the base of the bruschetta.
Once you've got your pita chips, you'll need to put together a tomato and basil mixture to top them with.
First, you cook together garlic and olive oil to make a fragrant garlicky oil. Then you add in a little bit of balsamic vinegar, some chopped grape tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the pita chips and you're done.
You can enjoy your bru-SKE-ta.
Low Carb Bruschetta
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 slice of Joseph's Lavash Bread
8 oz grape tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 leaves fresh basil, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Brush olive oil on both sides of a slice of Lavash Bread.
3. Cut the slice of Lavash Bread in half and then into quarters. Cut the quarters into 3 rectangular slices that are each 1 3/4" x 4" .
4. Bake for 4-5 until browned. Watch it closely because it will burn very easily.
5. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and slice the basil into a chiffonade. Mince the garlic.
6. Heat the remaining olive oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Do not let it brown too much.
7. Mix together the garlic oil, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add a spoonful of the tomato mixture to each slice of toasted Lavash Bread.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 6 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 slices of bruschetta Calories 90 Fat 7g Protein 3g Carb 6g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 4g