This recipe for low carb and Keto chicken tamales replaces cornmeal masa harina with almond flour to make tamales with just 5g net carbs each.
I’ve been singing the lamest song this morning as I made these low carb chicken tamales.
It’s “Shake Your Booty” by K.C. and the Sunshine Band. (below)
At least you can shake shake shake your booty while making some delicious low carb chicken tamales.
These tamales swap out the traditional cornmeal filling, called masa harina, with a low carb almond flour fillng. This lowers the carb count down to 5g net carbs per tamale. Pretty darn good.
Folding the tamales is a little tricky, so I’ve put together step by step instructions, just in case you need them.
Gather your ingredients: softened corn husks, pulled chicken and almond flour masa harina.
Lay out one of the corn husks. Add 1/3 cup masa harina to the corn husk and form into a rectangle along the longest edge.
Place 1/8 of the pulled chicken down the middle of the masa harina.
Bring the edges of the corn husk together so that the filling folds over on itself.
Roll the corn husk around itself.
Fold the tamale in half.
Cut one of the cornhusks into thin strips and use one to tie together the tamale.
Ok, now that that’s taken care of, I guess I’ll get back to what I was doing before.
Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shaking my booty.
Low Carb Keto Chicken Tamales
This recipe for low carb chicken tamales replaces cornmeal masa harina with almond flour to make tamales with just 5g net carbs each
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 1:30
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 tamales 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican
9 corn husks
- 3 cups super fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup lard or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Add corn husks to a large pot of hot water. Put a plate on top to keep the corn husks submerged. Heat over medium until very hot but not boiling. Lower the heat to low to keep the water hot. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
2. Add chicken breast to a medium sized sauce pan and fill the pan with water so that the chicken is just covered. Bring the water to a boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the chicken is white and cooked through. Allow to cool for several minutes and then pull apart the chicken into bite sized pieces using two forks.
3. Add tomato sauce and spices to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add chicken to the sauce and mix well. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in the microwave and add to almond flour, water and salt. Mix well.
5. Remove softened corn husks from the pot of water, reserving the water to use later to steam the tamales.
6. Dry off the corn husks. Lay out one of the corn husks. Add 1/3 cup masa harina to the corn husk and form into a rectangle along the longest edge.
7. Top the masa harina with 1/8 of the chicken.
8. Bring the edges of the corn husk together so that the filling folds over on itself.
9. Roll the corn husk around itself.
10. Fold the tamale in half.
11. Cut one of the corn husks into thin strips and use one strip to tie together the tamale.
12. Repeat with remaining 7 corn husks.
13. Add tamales to a steamer basket, cover, and steam for 1 hour.
14. Allow to cool completely. The tamales will firm up as they cool. Discard the husks and serve with salsa verde.
- Serving Size: 1 tamale
- Calories: 476
- Fat: 45
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 15
Keywords: Low Carb Chicken Tamales, Keto Chicken Tamales, Paleo Chicken Tamales