Low Carb Keto Beef Tamales
You're just in time for the tamale party.
Tamales are, of course, the Mexican dish made of seasoned meat wrapped in cornmeal dough and steamed in corn husks.
The cornmeal mixture used in tamales is called masa harina. Since cornmeal is too high in carbohydrate to eat on a low carb diet, I've found a way to make it out of almond flour and flax seed meal. The masa harina recipe comes from the website GAPS Diet Journey. She makes a roasted pork tamale that is really good. I didn't have enough time to roast a pork butt today, so I made up a quick filling of seasoned ground beef and cheese. My recipe is very simple, so the only trick is getting the cornhusk wrapping just right.
Here are step by step instructions on how to roll a tamale:
And there you go.
Now you've got a perfectly wrapped tamale, all ready to steam. Time to party.
Low Carb Beef Tamales
9 corn husks
2 1/2 cups super fine almond flour
1/2 cup ground flax meal
1 cup butter or lard
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
seasoned ground beef:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Add the corn husks to a pot of hot water and use a plate to keep the husks underwater. Cook over medium heat to keep the water hot. Do not boil. When it gets close to simmering, lower the heat. You just want the water to be hot. After 30 minutes, remove the cornhusks and dry them off.
2. Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add ground beef and cook until completely browned.
3. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and salt. Add to the ground beef and stir to coat.
4. In a medium sized bowl, microwave water and butter for the masa harina. Mix with almond flour, flax seed meal and salt.
5. Lay out one of the corn husks. Add 1/8 of the masa harina to the corn husk and form into a rectangle along the longest edge.
6. Add 1/8 of the seasoned ground beef in the middle of the rectangle.
7. Sprinkle 1/8 of the shredded cheese on top.
8. Bring the edges of the corn husk together so that the filling folds over on itself. Roll the corn husk around itself. Fold it in the middle, leaving the long end open.
9. Cut one of the cornhusks into thin strips and use one to tie together the tamale.
10. Repeat the process with the remaining 7 corn husks.
11. Add to a steam basket and steam, covered for 1 hour.
12. Allow to cool until cool enough to handle. Unwrap the corn husks and enjoy. It's best with salsa verde or chili sauce.
PREP TIME: 20 MIN COOK TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 tamale Calories 533 Fat 50g Protein 17g Carb 10g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 4g