“We don’t need another hero, we don’t need to know the way home. All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome.” – Tina Turner
Good morning. Guess what song I have stuck in my head today? Yep, it’s the theme from Mad Max, sung by the Queen, Tina Turner. I’m about to share my recipe for low carb meatball casserole, but not before passing on this ear worm. Apologies in advance.
But if you’ve never seen Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, then you really owe it to yourself to watch it.
It’s a dystopian classic. I was too young to watch it when it came out in 1985, but I made a point to see it as an adult. Luckily, Tina Turner’s music video for “We Don’t Need Another Hero” will give you a taste of the awesomeness of this movie. (video below)
And speaking of awesomeness, today I made a killer meatball casserole.
First I baked up some meatballs made from ground beef, sausage, almond flour, parmesan cheese, eggs and a little water to steam the meat. (That makes for a very tender meatball.) I topped them with sugar-free marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese over the whole shebang. And voilà, I had a tasty meatball casserole with only 4g net carbs per serving. It’s hearty, meaty and very cheesy.
Not unlike Mel Gibson as Mad Max, now that I think about it.
Low Carb Keto Meatball Casserole
This recipe for low carb keto meatball casserole is full of meaty cheesy goodness.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
1 pound ground beef
1 pound breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup super fine almond flour
3/4 cup water
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups Rao’s Sugar-Free Marinara Sauce or equivalent sugar-free sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover 2 large cookie sheets with aluminum foil. Grease a 9 x 13 or 7 1/2 x 11 inch casserole dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients. You’ll need to squish the mixture through your fingers to fully combine it.
3. Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop out balls of meat and place them on the cookie sheets.
4. Bake for 20 minutes until browned and firm. Remove the meatballs from the oven and increase heat to 400 degrees F.
5. Use a spoon to carefully remove the meatballs from the released fat and add the meatballs to the casserole dish. If you use the larger casserole dish, you should have one layer of meatballs, and if you use a smaller dish, you’ll have two layers.
6. Pour marinara sauce over the meatballs.
7. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
8. Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
9. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 469
- Fat: 31
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 45
Keywords: low carb meatball casserole, keto meatball casserole, paleo meatball casserole