This is a quick low carb and Keto New England Clam Chowder with 10g net carbs per serving.
“NO SOUP FOR YOU!!” -Seinfeld
Today I made a big pot of New England Clam Chowder, so naturally, I’m thinking about the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. (video below) He was, of course, the purveyor of the best soup in Manhattan. But he was very picky about this customers. If you upset the Soup Nazi, you were out.
But let’s talk chowder.
Or “chowdah” if you are actually from New England. I went straight to the source for this recipe, the venerable Cook’s Illustrated. And then I swapped daikon radishes for potatoes and xanthan gum for white flour. And the result? A delicious low carb New England Clam Chowder with only 10g net carbs per serving.
So here you go. SOME SOUP FOR YOU!
Low Carb Keto New England Clam Chowder
This is a quick low carb New England Clam Chowder with 10g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 (8z) jar clam juice
3 (6.5oz) chopped or whole clams, strained and juice reserved
1/2 cup water
1 cup daikon radish or cauliflower, diced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Fry bacon in a large skillet or Dutch Oven over medium heat until crispy, 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain oil on paper towels.
- Add onion and celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice, reserved clam juice, water, bay leaf, thyme, daikon radish or cauliflower, salt and pepper.
- Once the broth is heated through, take out 1/2 cup broth and dissolve xanthan gum in it. Return to the soup pan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes until radish or cauliflower is tender and soup has thickened.
- Add bacon, cream, clams and parsley to the pan and bring back to a simmer.
- Serve as soon as the soup is heated through.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 38
Keywords: Low Carb Clam Chowder, Keto Clam Chowder, New England Clam Chowder
If you liked this low carb soup, then you might like my recipes for Gumbo, Tomato or Ramen Noodle Soup.
I’ve included a link to the specialty ingredient used in this recipe. You should know that this is an Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.