Low Carb Keto Caramels
I can't write about caramels without giving a shout out to Werther's Originals. (below)
My grandmother never went anywhere without a couple in her purse. I remember her handing them out during the most boring parts of church. (And there were a lot of boring parts in church.)
Now that I've foresworn sugar, I was relieved to find a sugar-free recipe for caramel candy. This is the soft melt-in-your-mouth kind of caramel, not the hard kind. I'd put them on the fudgey end of the caramel candy spectrum.
All you need is butter, cream and a little sweetener and you too can make this grandmotherly confection.
First, you melt the butter over medium-low heat and cook it until it browns. Add your sweetener and cream and cook until it thickens and becomes gooey. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and whisk until it cools a bit. Then pour it into candy molds and chill for a few hours until they harden.
And that's all it takes to make this classic treat, heralded by grandparents everywhere.
Low Carb Caramels
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons Powdered Swerve or equivalent sweetener*
1. Melt the butter in a small non-stick saucepan over medium low heat and let it cook until it is a light brown color.
2. Add the cream and sweetener to the butter and continue to whisk until it begins to feel sticky and the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir until it has cooled slightly. (This will keep it from separating.)
4. Pour into candy molds and refrigerate for 3-4 hours to harden.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 10 MIN
*You can turn regular sweetener into powdered by mixing it in a blender or coffee grinder.
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size 3 candies Calories 242 Total Fat 44g Protein <1g Carb <1g Fiber 0g Net Carbs <1g