Low Carb Keto Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
"Well this is... different!"
That is how I imagine my pumpkin pie ice cream will go over this Thanksgiving. And I'm ok with that. I don't mind being the weird aunt who shows up with low carb ice cream.
Thanksgiving is no fun when you're trying to stick to your low carb diet. It's a diabetic wasteland.
Everybody else is digging into their stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and all manner of autumnal desserts. Meanwhile, you've got turkey and green beans. Maybe some brussel sprouts if your family is on the daring side. It's just not fair.
But this recipe goes a long way towards Thanksgiving equity.
It tastes just like pumpkin pie, but without the soggy crust and all the sugar. And while your family is eating their carbo-loaded (40g!) pie, you are sitting pretty with your 3g ice cream. Add a little whipped cream and you are still only looking at 4g of carbohydrate.
Now that's something to be thankful for!
Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1. Freeze the ice cream maker canister 24 hours before you plan to make the ice cream.
2. Set a bowl over an ice bath and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg yolks together in a medium sized sauce pan.
4. Add the almond milk, cream, sweetener, cinnamon, ginger and salt to the pan and cook at medium heat, stirring often.
5. Cook until the mixture has thickened enough to stick to the spoon, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla.
7. Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours up to overnight.
8. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
9. Once churned, transfer to a pie pan and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
PREP TIME: 3 HR 10 MIN COOK TIME: 35 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1/2 cup Calories 200 Total Fat 19g Protein 2g Carbs 4g Fiber 1g Net Carbs 3g