This Keto Caprese Salad Skewers recipe is pure salad gold. And each skewer has less than 3g net carbs.
I'm just sitting here eating some Keto Caprese Salad Skewers and catching up on the old Facebook. As one does.
My friends keep posting the episode of Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney and I finally got a chance to watch it. (video below)
I am so glad I did. This video is a delight from start to finish. James Corden and Paul McCartney drive around Liverpool and visit the house where Paul lived as a young man and where he composed the early Beatles songs. They stop and do a surprise performance at a local club that he used to play at. There are laughs and there are tears. It's quite a trip.
But you may be asking yourself...
What is Caprese Salad and why should I put it on a skewer?
Caprese Salad or Insalata Caprese is a simple Italian salad made up of tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and a balsamic vinegar reduction. The Caprese Salad dates back to post-World War I Italy. A stone mason with a patriotic streak wanted to make a salad based on the tricolor flag of Italy. Hence the white cheese, red tomatoes and green basil.
These Keto Caprese Salad Skewers take the classic Italian salad and make it hand held.
But enough low carb food talk, let's get back to my precious Carpool Karaoke.
If you do watch it, make sure to have some Kleenex handy. Like I said, there are laughs and there are tears. It's a wild ride.
Beep beep, beep beep, yea.Print
Keto Caprese Salad Skewers
This is a low carb version of a classic Caprese salad, only on a stick. It's salad gold.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 skewers 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 oz grape tomatoes, several varieties
- 8 oz small mozzarella cheese balls
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 12 (6 inch long) wooden skewers
1. Add balsamic vinegar to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until it has the consistency of a thin syrup, 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Compose the skewers in varying patterns, using 2 cheese balls, 2 basil leaves and 2 tomatoes for each one.
3. Place the skewers on a plate or serving platter and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Serving Size: 2 skewers
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 14
Keywords: Low Carb Caprese Salad, Keto Caprese Salad, Paleo Caprese Salad