Here’s a low carb recipe for baked Keto Onion Rings, the perfect burger side. And each serving has just 175 calories and 4g net carbs.
Greetings onion ring enthusiasts.
Boy howdy do I have a good recipe for you today. It's a delicious plate of baked Keto Onion rings, one of America's favorite foods.
Where did Onion Rings come from?
These breaded and fried onion sides come to us from Texas, as it turns out. They were invented in 1921 at the country's first drive-thru restaurant, called the Pig Stand. For the first time ever, folks could drive up, eat and leave, all without leaving their motor cars. When customers pulled into the Pig Stand parking lot, teenagers hot footed over to their cars, hopped up onto the running board and took their orders. Hence the nickname "carbhops".
Are Onion Rings Keto?
Classic Onion Rings, no. Traditional Onion Rings are just rings of onions coated in batter or breading and fried. So good. But these Keto Onion Rings are a close second. And the low carb version has just 4g net carbs.
How do you bread these Keto Onion Rings?
These are pork rind crusted onion rings, so you'll use pork rinds that you've broken up in a blender. You dip the onion rings in heavy whipping cream, dredge them in coconut flour, dip them in an egg and cream mixture, then bread them with crushed pork rinds. This will give the Keto Onion Rings a nice crispy low carb breading that holds on to the onion.
And my low carb onion ring recipe is baked, not fried in oil.
This keeps the fuss and mess down to a minimum. It also means that they only have 175 calories.
But what if you like the fried taste better and want to use an air fryer?
Not a problem. Just make the recipe up to the point where you cook the Keto Onion Rings. Then spray the inside of the air fryer with cooking spray. Place a single layer of the onion rings into the air fryer basket and spray the tops with cooking spray. Cook on 375 degrees F for 10 minutes, flipping each ring halfway through the cooking time.
And that's all there is to making Keto Onion Rings.
Soon you'll have a low carb batch of onion rings with just 175 calories and 4g net carbs.
So hop to it!
Baked Keto Onion Rings
Here's a low carb recipe for onion rings, the perfect game day snack. And each serving has just 4g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- cooking spray
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced in ⅓" rings
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 (3 oz) bag pork rinds, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
2. Peel the onions and cut them into ⅓ inch rings. Separate each layer of the onion.
3. Get out four bowls. Add the onion rings and ½ cup cream to one bowl and mix to coat.
4. Pulse the bag of pork rinds in a blender or food processor until it forms crumbs. Add to one of the bowls.
5. Whisk together eggs and 1 tablespoon cream in another bowl.
6. Add coconut flour to the last bowl.
7. Set up an assembly line where you dip the cream covered onion rings one at a time into the coconut flour, then egg mixture and then pork rinds. Add each finished onion ring to the cookie sheet. Spray all the onions rings with cooking spray to crisp them up as they cook.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Check in on them at minute 18 to make sure they aren't too browned.
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 11