In about 10 minutes, you can make the best batch of Keto French Toast you ever had. It'll be just like the regular version with a creamy custard center and a crispy golden exterior. But our quick and easy low carb version has just 2g net carbs.
"Greatest French toast you ever tasted! Now, naturally, you're gonna have to multiply the ingredients. I only know how to make enough for me and Dad." Hawkeye from M*A*S*H
I can't make French toast without thinking about this scene from M*A*S*H that I watched as a kid. (Why a 10-year-old wanted to watch a gritty field hospital drama set in the Korean War is a question for another day.). Hawkeye is put in charge of the mess hall and is waxing poetic about the French toast of his youth. Meanwhile, the cook is pretending to listen as he pours powdered ingredients into this giant industrial-sized vat. And that's how I remember how to make French toast: it's the list of ingredients that Hawkeye gives that surly mess hall cook.
The brain is a funny instrument, isn't it?
Today I'm going to show you how to make Keto French Toast, and there will be no artificial powdered ingredients involved at all. We'll use real eggs and cream. And unlike other Keto recipes, you won't need to make your own low carb bread out of almond and coconut flour, and who knows what all. There are no "egg loaves" involved, thank heavens.
No, with just 7 ingredients, we'll make a fabulous Keto French Toast.
🍞 Brands of Keto Bread
First, you'll need to procure yourself a loaf of Keto-friendly bread. Some great zero and low carb options are available on Amazon now, and you can even find it at Aldi.
- Aldi L'Oven Fresh Keto Friendly Bread- This low carb bread has zero net carbs and is vegan to boot. It does contain wheat, though, so while it's Keto friendly in terms of the zero net carb count, it isn't allowed if you are doing strict Keto.
- Julian Bakery Keto Thin Bread- This bread is 100% Keto, and gluten-free. It has a pound cake consistency and the faint taste of vanilla, so it's perfect for Keto French Toast.
- Sola Sweet and Buttery Bread- This Keto bread has 2g net carbs per slice and 0g of sugar. Its flavor also lends itself to low carb French Toast.
- Carbornaut White Low Carb Keto Bread- One slice of this Keto bread has 1g net carbs. It's made from tapioca starch, cornstarch, and sugar, so like Aldi's brand, it's not allowed if you are doing strict Keto.
- ThinSlim Foods Zero Net Carbs Bread- The amount of carbs is right there in the title. ThinSlim foods has been around and making low carb bread for the last 10 years, so they know what they are doing. This is one of my favorite brands.
- Yez! Artisan Keto Bread- This is the prettiest low carb bread on the list, by far. It's made from almond flour, coconut flour, and psyllium husk powder, and has 2g net carbs per slice. Plus, you get an excuse to exclaim, "Yez, queen!" as you make your low carb French Toast.
In addition to the Keto bread of your choice, you'll need:
- Eggs- Eggs are naturally low carb, but aren't completely free of carbohydrates, like other proteins. Each large egg contains .4g carbs.
- Heavy Cream- This adds a wonderful creaminess to the custard but the recipe can be made dairy-free by substituting nut or coconut milk. Using unsweetened almond milk will lower the calories as well.
- Brown Sugar Substitute- I like to use Swerve Brown, but Sukrin Gold also makes a very good brown sugar substitute. You can skip the sweetener if you plan to use a powdered sugar-free sweetener or syrup on top, though.
- Vanilla Extract- Always use pure vanilla extract rather than artificial vanilla flavoring.
- Ground Cinnamon- Ground spices last for 3-4 years, but that doesn't mean they don't lose their potency sooner than that. Try and use spices in the first year, if you can.
- Butter- You can also use cooking spray or Keto-friendly coconut oil to fry the slices of bread.
- Purchase or make some low carb bread and set aside 4 slices. If making Keto French Toast Sticks, cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces.
- Whisk together the egg, cinnamon, and brown sugar substitute in a large shallow bowl. This will suspend the dry ingredients in the eggs evenly and avoid clumps. Stir in heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Add butter to a non-stick skillet over Medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture and soak for at least 15 seconds. Repeat with a second slice of bread.
- Fry the bread in the pan until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Top with powdered sugar-free sweetener, sugar-free syrup, or fresh berries.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. Separate the slices of bread with parchment paper. It can be meal prepped for easy Keto breakfasts. Just microwave for 20-30 seconds or fry on the stovetop to reheat.
🍓 Topping Ideas
- sugar-free maple syrup
- sugar-free chocolate syrup
- powdered sugar-free sweetener
- sugar-free chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- almond butter
- cream cheese
- sweetened cream cheese
- whipped cream
🍳 French Toast Sides
- sausage links
- sausage patties
- Canadian bacon
💬 Keto Dieters Often Ask
According to the USDA, 2 slices of traditional French toast contain 32g of carbohydrate. And that's before the maple syrup! So the classic recipe is not Keto, but if you use Keto bread, then it will be because the remaining ingredients are naturally low in carbs.
Sure, any kind of Keto bread will work in this breakfast recipe. You can make your own low carb bread, or buy it at the store or on Amazon.
Keto bread can have zero "net carbs", but the total carb count is not really zero. We get the "net carb" amount by subtracting the fiber content from the total amount of carbohydrates. That's because your body doesn't process fiber or get any energy from it. So while some low carb loaves of bread may have the same amount of carbs as traditional bread, if it has high enough fiber content, then it can be considered Keto.
And that's about all I've got, French Toast-wise.
Soon you'll be enjoying a slice of Keto French Toast that is custardy in the center and golden brown on the exterior. It's bready and ready in 10 minutes. It'll have just 2g net carbs per two-slice serving and taste like a million bucks.
Just like the French toast Hawkeye's Dad used to make.Print
Keto French Toast with Real Bread
In about 10 minutes, you can make the greatest Keto French Toast you ever had.
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 4 slices of Keto bread
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Swerve Brown
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon butter
Step 1. Purchase or make some low carb bread and set aside 4 slices. If making Keto French Toast sticks, cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces.
Step 2. Whisk together the egg, cinnamon, and brown sugar substitute in a large shallow bowl. This will suspend the dry ingredients in the eggs evenly and avoid clumps. Stir in heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
Step 3. Add butter to a non-stick skillet over Medium heat.
Step 4. Coat a slice of bread in the egg mixture and soak for at least 15 seconds. Repeat with a second slice of bread.
Step 5. Fry the bread in the butter until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. Microwave the slices of Keto French Toast for 20-30 seconds or fry on the stovetop to reheat.
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 18
- Protein: 13
Keywords: Keto French Toast, Low Carb French Toast