I should just say, right off the bat, that this recipe failed the husband test.
If you’ve ever read a food blog, you’ll recognize the character of “the picky husband”. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy who doesn’t go in for diet food, but raved about this recipe for brussel sprout brownies, or whatever it is.
This is not one of those posts.
I’ll admit, these grain-free multi-grain rolls are definitely a little weird.
But I find them delightful. I might have low carb diet goggles on, but these rolls taste so good to me. I’ve been eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The secret ingredient is Psyllium Husk Powder.
When you combine it with enough baking powder and egg whites, it makes for a springy chewy bread. These rolls are made with nut and seed flours, and without any yeast, but they rise like real bread anyway. It’s really kind of miraculous.
So, take this recipe with a grain of salt.
If you can eat normal bread, then by all means do. But if you are looking for a low carb recipe to fill the place that bread used to hold in your heart, you should give this recipe a try.
You might just be amazed.
Low Carb Psyllium Bread
These low carb psyllium hush rolls have just 3g net carbs each.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 rolls or 10 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 5 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 1/2 cup egg whites with 2 egg yolks (11 eggs total)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the coconut flour, almond flour, flax seed meal, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, sweetener and salt.
3. Stir in egg whites, oil and apple cider vinegar with an electric mixer. Add the caraway seeds if using.
4. Slowly pour hot water over, stirring until the dough expands.
5. Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal pieces and roll into a ball. (If you are going to use the bread for sandwiches, you should flatten the dough with your hand to 1 inch high.) For a loaf of bread, shape into a rough rectangle and place in prepared baking pan.
6. Place the rolls on the prepared cookie sheets.
7. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until well browned and quite firm to the touch. If you are making a loaf, then bake for 60-75 minutes.
8. Remove and let cool on pan.
- Serving Size: 1 roll or 1 slice
- Calories: 109
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
Keywords: Low Carb Psyllium Bread, Keto Psyllium Bread, Paleo Psyllium Bread
These are the specialty items needed: