Today I’m going to share my recipe for low carb filet mignon with braised red cabbage and cauliflower puree. It sounds a bit fancy, but it’s actually very easy to make.
Making this steak reminded me of this great scene in Napoleon Dynamite. (video below)
It’s got Uncle Rico, so you know it’s going to be funny. He is eating steak with Kip and bragging about this high school football career. And then, to show off his throwing arm, he lobs a steak at Napoleon as he rides up on his bike. I knew it was coming, but I still laughed pretty hard when it happened. Poor Napoleon.
But anyway, steaks.
My favorite way to cook steak is to use my sous vide. You cook the steaks in moderately hot water for anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. Then you quickly sear both sides of the steak on the stove. The beauty of this cooking method is that you get a center that’s done exactly the way you like it every time. It’s pretty sweet.
And I paired the steaks with braised red cabbage and cauliflower puree.
Braised red cabbage is a great side that doesn’t get a lot of attention. But it’s a wonderful low carb vegetable option. And I used cauliflower puree, which is a creamy potato-like side that goes very well with the steak. All in all, this is a very classy meal. So just promise me something.
Promise me you won’t use the steaks to bean your nephew.
Low Carb Keto Filet Mignon with Braised Red Cabbage and Cauliflower Puree
This recipe for Low Carb Keto Filet Mignon with Braised Red Cabbage and Cauliflower Puree is a tasty dinner with only 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1:05
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
4 filet mignon steaks
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
Braised Red Cabbage:
1/2 pound red cabbage, sliced in 1/2 inch wide ribbons
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 – 1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups riced cauliflower
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
- If you don’t have a sous vide, then see the notes section for another way to cook the steaks. If you do have one, then fill a large pot with water and place the sous vide in the water. Set the sous vide to desired temperature for your steaks. Set it to 122-128 for Rare, 136-145 for Medium, and 156-166 for Well done. Brush the front and back of the steaks with olive oil and salt and pepper both sides. Add to a sous vide plastic bag and vacuum seal it. Place in the water for 1-4 hours. When you are ready to sear the steaks, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over High heat. Sear the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side until nicely browned.
- While the steaks are in the sous vide, you can make your braised red cabbage and cauliflower puree. Add all red cabbage ingredients to a large soup pot and cook over Medium heat, covered, for 20-30 minutes until very tender. Stir the cabbage occasionally and if it seems too dry, add more water.
- Wait until the steak and cabbage are almost done, before starting the cauliflower puree. Microwave cauliflower rice for 5 minutes. Add to a food processor or high powered blender along with the butter, cream and salt. Process for several minutes until smooth and combined.
- To plate the dish, start with a circle of cauliflower puree. Make a mound of red cabbage on top of the cauliflower puree. Then place the filet mignon on top.
To broil the steaks, place them on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Using the following timings, broil the meat, turning once halfway through the broiling time: For a 1-inch cut, broil 12 to 14 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or 15 to 18 minutes for medium (160 degrees F).
- Calories: 520
- Fat: 45
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 24
Keywords: Low Carb Filet Mignon, Keto Filet Mignon, Low Carb Braised Red Cabbage, Keto Braised Red Cabbage
If you liked this low carb dinner, then you might like my Swedish Meatball Meal recipe.
And here is the sous vide that I use: