Thank goodness for Wikipedia. It knows everything.
I’ve been thinking about this old tv show that used to play on Nickelodeon in the mid eighties. It was called Today’s Special and it was about a store mannequin who came alive at night.
That is about all I remembered about the show. Luckily, Wikipedia remembers much, much more.
“Jeff: A mannequin with a magic hat that makes him come to life when someone says “hocus pocus alimagocus”. If it comes off his head, he turns back into a mannequin. He is also a very talented dancer, which he gets to show off at some point in nearly every episode. Though he wishes that he was not bound by the rules of the spell that keeps him alive, he puts his friends’ needs first.”
That description is absolutely spot on.
I forgot all about Jeff’s Jazz dancing! But it’s all coming back now. Each episode was dedicated to one simple thing. Shoes, let’s say. So they would start the episode by saying, “Today’s Special is… SHOES!”
It’s just a great way to begin something.
So Today’s Special is… RATATOUILLE!
Ratatouille (pronounced RAT-a-TOO-ee) is a French Provencal stewed vegetable dish. It’s this colorful medley of eggplant, zucchini, red bell peppers, garlic, yellow squash and tomatoes. I love the red, green, purple and yellow of it. The tastes and the colors just pop.
Kind of like Jeff, when someone says “hocus pocus alimagocus”.
Low Carb Keto Ratatouille
This recipe for low carb Ratatouille is a tasty vegetarian dinner or side dish with just 7g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: French
- 1 unpeeled eggplant, cubed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 yellow summer squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- garnish with chopped parsley
1. Sprinkle eggplant with salt; place in a colander and let bitter juices drain 20 minutes. Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
2. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a 10×15 baking dish, mix oil, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper. Add vegetables, toss to coat evenly with oil mixture.
3. Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes.
4. Uncover and add balsamic vinegar. Cook 30 minutes more, mixing occasionally, until vegetables are tender and browned.
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 2
Keywords: Low Carb Ratatouille, Keto Ratatouille, Vegan Ratatouille
If you liked this low carb eggplant recipe, then you might like my recipes for Tofu with Eggplant Noodles, Chicken and Eggplant Biryani or Baba Ghanoush.