Greetings low carb travelers.
I’m here today to share two great things I found this morning. One is a recipe for low carb gumbo, and the other is a commercial starring someone you may recognize.
It’s a 1979 commercial for Pabst Blue Ribbon. (video below)
And that good looking fellow you see is none other than a young Patrick Swayze. You see him getting ready for a hot date, donning a flashy scarf and giving his beautiful hair one final toss. He meets up with his date, played by his real wife, and they head straight to the disco. His dancing skills are in full display in this commercial. It almost makes me want to drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Almost.
I’ll tell you what I do want to drink though: this bowl of low carb chicken, shrimp and sausage gumbo.
This stuff is off the hook!
It’s nice and spicy and full of protein. I based the recipe on a gumbo I found in Cook’s Illustrated. But instead of thickening the soup with white flour, I subbed in low carb arrowroot powder. That brought the carb count down to just 7g net carb per bowl. I just had a bowl for lunch and added in some coconut cauliflower rice. Boy was it good. Well worth the time it takes to make this big ole pot of gumbo.
But now it’s time to bid you adieu, toss my hair and dance into the night.
Low Carb Keto Chicken, Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
This recipe makes a big ole pot of Low Carb Keto Chicken, Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo. Perfect for a party.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 1:10
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Southern
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground paprika
2 bay leaves
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, as desired
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, fat trimmed
8 oz andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 scallions, sliced
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil over Medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and yellow bell peppers and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
2. Stir in spices and garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
3. Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and the diced tomatoes. Add chicken in a single layer nestled in the broth. Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and simmer until chicken is fork tender, 15-17 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool.
4. Once it is cool enough to touch, pull the chicken into bite sized pieces.
5. Mix together the remaining broth with arrowroot powder to make a slurry and add to the pan. Add sausage to the pan.
6. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 25 minutes until thickened.
7. Add pulled chicken and shrimp to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
8. Remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
9. Stir in scallions and vinegar and serve garnished with parsley.
- Calories: 188
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 17
Keywords: Low Carb Gumbo, Keto Gumbo, Paleo Gumbo
If you liked this gumbo recipe, then you might like my recipes for Chicken Puttanesca, Vegetable Soup or Chili Con Carne.
You’ll need this specialty ingredient: