This is a low carb and Keto beef and vegetable soup with just 7g net carbs per serving.
Greetings, fellow soup lovers.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a very comforting beef and vegetable soup. But I can’t make vegetable soup without thinking about this great flash mob video I saw once. (video below) It was nuts.
Picture it, it’s a normal day in the produce section of your local supermarket.
When right next to you, some guy starts singing opera to himself. Pretty loudly. Which is weird, but people are weird. But then other people in the supermarket start joining in until suddenly, you find yourself in the middle of a performance of the opera, Funiculì, Funiculà. It is simply wonderful.
Also wonderful, is this low carb beef and vegetable soup that I just made myself.
It’s a lovely blend of beef and tomato broth with onions, red bell peppers, carrots, zucchini and red cabbage. And of course, the beef. For this recipe, I went with some nice fatty short ribs. I used my Instant Pot to pressure cook them, so I didn’t need to spend the afternoon waiting for the meat to fall off the bone. In just 45 minutes, I had a hearty bowl of low carb beef vegetable soup with just 7g net carbs per serving. It was enough to have me singing in the aisles.
Low Carb Keto Beef Vegetable Soup
This is a low carb beef and vegetable soup with just 7g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
6 cups beef broth, divided
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup red bell peppers, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
2 cups red cabbage, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over Medium High heat in a large Dutch Oven or Soup Pot. Add short ribs to the pot and brown on all sides.
- Add the short ribs to an Instant Pot along with 2 cups beef broth. Use the Pressure Cooker setting and cook for 35 minutes.*
- As the short ribs are cooking, you can chop the vegetables and make the soup.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the Dutch Oven or Soup Pot and heat over Medium heat. Add onions, carrots and red bell peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add zucchini and red cabbage to the pot and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add remaining 4 cups beef broth to the pot, along with the tomato paste, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- By the time the soup is done, the meat should be ready. Release the steam and remove the short ribs to a cutting board. Use two forks to remove the bones and shred the meat. Add the shredded beef along with the broth that the beef cooked in, to the pot.
- Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle parsley on top.
*If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can add the short ribs and 2 cups broth to a casserole dish and cook in a 325 degree F oven until very tender, 3 hours.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 626
- Fat: 49
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 28
Keywords: Low Carb Beef Vegetable Soup, Keto Beef Vegetable Soup, Paleo Beef Vegetable Soup