Today I’m going to share a low carb recipe for Saag Paneer with Tofu.
But not before taking a detour to Bollywood, to put us in the mood for Indian food.
The video below is a dance number from my absolute favorite Bollywood star, Chiranjeevi.
Or as he is better known in the States: the “Indian Michael Jackson”. And he really does have some killer dance moves. I could describe them but it would be easier just to show you.
Impressive, am I right?
Also impressive, is this low carb Saag Paneer (pronounced shag pan ear). The recipe is based on a great one that I found on Serious Eats. It’s an easy recipe that is naturally low carb. It’s packed with fresh spinach and cauliflower and I used tofu instead of the traditional Saag Paneer cheese, because it’s easier to find at the supermarket.
This dish is really good.
As good as Chiranjeevi’s dancing? Perhaps not. But it’s really tasty all the same.
Low Carb Keto Saag Paneer with Tofu
This recipe for Indian Saag Paneer with Tofu is naturally low carb and has just 3g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
19 oz extra-firm tofu, cubed
3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided (2-3 lemons)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
6 oz cauliflower florets, (1/3 cauliflower)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (1-inch) knob ginger, peeled and minced
1/4–1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper, as desired
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon cardamom
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
18 oz fresh spinach
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with tin foil.
2. Press tofu firmly between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Add tofu and toss to coat. Spread tofu evenly over cookie sheet. 5. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
6. Combine cream, water and cauliflower in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. 7. Cook until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Purée mixture using a hand blender or countertop blender. Set aside.
9. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
10. Add spinach one handful at a time, stirring and adding more as the greens wilt.
Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are fully wilted, about 5 minutes.
11. Stir in cauliflower purée and continue to cook until greens are very tender, about 5 minutes longer.
12. Stir in tofu cubes and heat through. Stir in remaining lemon juice and serve.
- Calories: 223
- Fat: 24
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Low Carb Saag Paneer, Keto Saag Paneer, Paleo Saag Paneer
You can watch the whole film here, if you are so inclined:
If you liked this curry recipe, then you might like my recipes for Shrimp Curry, Chicken Tikka Masala, and Coconut Cauliflower Rice.