This recipe for low carb and Keto rustic Italian bread is a real yeast bread with a soft chewy inside and a nice thick crust.
I’d like to dedicate today’s recipe to all the low carb bread makers out there.
Crazy diamonds who dream of a world where you can eat real bread again. Well, I am happy to report that you can. I’m going to share a recipe for a real rustic Italian yeast bread with a nice soft chewy interior and a lovely thick crust. You might just forget that you are on a low carb diet.
The secret to good bread is gluten.
Low carb flours don’t have it, so that’s why it’s so hard to get a truly satisfying low carb loaf of bread. Almond and coconut flour loaves just don’t have the bounce or the chew that you get with regular bread. To fix this problem, this recipe adds in vital wheat gluten to compensate. Problem solved. So you get a crusty chewy loaf of low carb bread with only 3g net carbs per slice. So shine on you crazy diamonds.
This recipe goes out to you.
Low Carb Rustic Italian Yeast Bread
This recipe for low carb rustic Italian bread is a real yeast bread with a soft chewy inside and a nice thick crust.
- Prep Time: 1:15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Italian
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water, divided
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup super fine almond flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup warm (like bath water) water, sugar and yeast until dissolved. Cover the bowl and allow to sit until frothy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients.
3. Add yeast mixture, remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water and olive oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it’s well combined. Don’t over knead.
5. Form the dough into an oval shape on a greased cookie sheet. Put the dough in a warm dry place and allow to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and melt the butter in the microwave.
7. Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is browned and the bread makes a hollow sound when you tap the bottom. The internal temperature should be between 190-200 degrees F. Check by inserting an instant read thermometer into the side of the bread loaf. The closer to 200 degrees it gets, the crustier the bread.
8. Allow to cool for 1 hour before cutting.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 141
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Low Carb Yeast Bread, Low Carb Italian Bread, Low Carb Italian Yeast Bread
If you liked this yeast bread, then you might be interested in my recipes for Yeast Bread Rolls, Monkey Bread or Tomato Herb Focaccia.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.