Today’s recipe is for poke cake, a dessert sensation made popular in the 1970’s.
A poke cake is what you get when you bake a vanilla cake, poke holes in it and fill those holes with Jello.
It really takes me back to the 1970’s.
Eating poke cake and watching children’s television. That reminds me- there is a new documentary that is about to come out about Mister Rogers. (trailer below) It’s called Won’t You Be My Neighbor? and it looks just wonderful. A warning though: this trailer will make you cry. Have a box of Kleenex handy.
But about that poke cake.
This low carb version will be a little more time consuming than a normal poke cake, because we aren’t going to use a box mix for the vanilla cake. But it will be worth it since this cake only has 5g net carbs per slice. This poke cake will transport you through time, all the way back to the 1970’s, when every day was a beautiful day in the neighborhood. So change your shoes and put on your cardigan sweater, neighbor.
You are about to eat something special.
Low Carb Keto Strawberry Poke Cake
This is a low carb take on a classic Jello poke cake. This version has just 5g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (.3 oz) box Sugar Free Strawberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
2. Add softened butter, cream cheese and sweetener to a large bowl, and use an electric mixer to cream them together.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the blended ingredients. Blend with the electric mixer until smooth.
4. In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the batter. Blend until very smooth. The batter will be very thick.
6. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes at 350F. The top should be browned and a toothpick in the middle should come out dry.
7. After the cake goes into the oven, dissolve the Jello powder into 1 cup of boiling water. Put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
8 Cool the cake for 15 minutes.
9. Using a wooden skewer or chop stick, poke holes in the cake, a little more than 1 inch apart.
10. Pour the Jello over the top of the cake and then chill for 1 hour in the fridge.
11. Whip together the heavy whipping cream and powdered sweetener until stiff peaks form.
12. Frost the cake with whipped cream. Return to the refrigerator for 1 more hour.
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 35
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Low Carb Poke Cake, Keto Poke Cake, Low Carb Strawberry Cake, Keto Strawberry Cake
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this low carb strawberry dessert, then you might like my recipes for Strawberry Pie, Strawberry Jello Cake or Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler.