This recipe for Keto Chicken and Eggplant Biryani is out of this world. This low carb Indian cauliflower rice dish is packed with flavor.
Today I’m going to show you how to make Keto Biryani with Chicken and Eggplant.
What is biryani?
Classic biryani is a delicious rice based Indian meal. Long-grained basmati rice is infused with spices and layered with ingredients like chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables and a thick gravy. This is usually a dish reserved for special occasions.
The Keto Biryani with Chicken and Eggplant recipe that we are making today is a low carb take on this classic Indian rice dish.
I’ve subbed in cauliflower rice for basmati rice to increase the veggies and lower the carbs. To get the spices just right, I based my recipe on a great low carb chicken biryani recipe that I found on Two Sleevers. The Indian spices blend beautifully and infuse the chicken and vegetables in this spicy and flavorful dish.
How many carbs are in biryani?
While normal biryani has anywhere from 50-80g of carbohydrate, this low carb version only has 10g net carbs.
Not too bad. Not too bad at all.Print
Keto Chicken and Eggplant Biryani
This recipe for Keto Chicken and Eggplant Biryani is out of this world. This Indian cauliflower rice dish is packed with flavor.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons butter, divided
5 cups eggplant, diced with skin
1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup water
½ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup mint, chopped
2 cups cauliflower, riced
1 pound cooked chicken, pulled into bite sized pieces
1. Mix together all spices in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Mince the garlic, ginger and jalapeño pepper and add to a small bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Mix well.
3. Dice the eggplant and slice the red bell peppers and onions thinly.
4. Cut ½ of a cauliflower into florets and add to a food processor or high powered blender. Process until it’s the consistency of rice granules. Measure out 2 cups.
5. Pull cooked chicken.
6. Add 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet or dutch oven. Heat over Medium High heat. Add eggplant and cook until softened, 8-9 minutes.
7. Mix in spices and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from the pan and mix together with chicken in a medium sized bowl. Mix until chicken is coated with spices.
8. Heat 1 tablespoon butter over Medium High heat. Add onions and red bell peppers and cook until browned around the edges, 10 minutes.
9. Push onions and peppers to the side of the pan and add in mixture of garlic, ginger, jalapeño pepper and oil. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
10. Add ½ cup water to the pan to deglaze it. Make sure to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
11. Add chicken, eggplant, cauliflower rice, mint and cilantro to the pan and mix well. 12. Lower the heat to Low and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook for 8-10 minutes until cauliflower rice is cooked through but not mushy.
13. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 257
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 25
Keywords: Low Carb Biryani, Keto Biryani, Paleo Biryani