Today’s recipe is the epitome of comfort food.
I’ve been missing this casserole that I used to eat all the time before I went on a low carb diet. It’s a scalloped potato recipe that I’ve remade as a daikon radish recipe. If you’re unfamiliar with the daikon radish, now would be a good time to introduce you.
It looks like this:
Daikon radishes are pretty underrated as tubers go, but they have a good sized following in low carb circles.
They’ve got a very subtle flavor that is somewhere between a potato and a radish. This makes them an excellent stand in for potatoes, especially in a casserole like this one. If you can’t find daikon radishes in your local store, then normal radishes would make a good substitution. Most of the flavor in this casserole is going to come from the ground beef, shallots and cheese. But the radishes really tie the casserole together.
They make the perfect backdrop for this comforting winter meal.
Low Carb Keto Beef and Scalloped Daikon Radish Casserole
This recipe uses low carb daikon radishes in place of potatoes to make a scalloped beef casserole with only 8g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1:05
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- 4 medium (10″ long, 3″ wide) daikon radishes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and set a large pot of water to boil. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan.
2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a frying pan and saute the ground beef and shallots together until the beef is completely browned and the shallots are softened. Drain well.
3. Thinly slice the daikon radishes and boil them for 15 minutes until translucent and soft. Drain in a colander.
4. Layer the ingredients in the pan: Daikon radishes, shallots and beef, and sprinkles of cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and thyme. For each cheddar layer, you can portion out a little bit of the cream and drizzle it evenly. Repeat until you’ve used all the ingredients. Top with sprinkled cheese.
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes until bubbling and browned on top.
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 31
- Carbohydrates: 124
- Protein: 26
Keywords: Low Carb Daikon Casserole, Keto Daikon Casserole, Low Carb Radish Casserole, Keto Radish Casserole
If you liked this low carb daikon radish casserole, then you might like this recipe for Scalloped Daikon Radishes.