I can’t write about caramels without giving a shout out to Werther’s Originals. (commercial below)
My grandmother never went anywhere without a couple in her purse.
I remember her handing them out during the most boring parts of church. (And there were a lot of boring parts in church.) Now that I’ve foresworn sugar, I was relieved to find a sugar-free recipe for caramel candy. This is the soft melt-in-your-mouth kind of caramel, not the hard kind. I’d put them on the fudgey end of the caramel candy spectrum.
All you need is butter, cream and a little sweetener and you too can make this grandmotherly confection.
First, you melt the butter over medium-low heat and cook it until it browns. Add your sweetener and cream and cook until it thickens and becomes gooey. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and whisk until it cools a bit. Then pour it into candy molds and chill for a few hours until they harden.
And that’s all it takes to make this classic treat, heralded by grandparents everywhere.
Low Carb Keto Caramels
These low carb soft caramel candies are a simple grandmotherly treat that you can make yourself at home. And each caramel has less than 1g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 caramels
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar free pancake syrup or equivalent sugar-free syrup
- 1/3 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Attach a candy thermometer to a medium sized sauce pan. Add butter and melt over low heat. Stir in syrup and sweetener. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
2. Simmer mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 250 degrees F. Stir in heavy whipping cream. The mixture will bubbly.
3. Continue heating mixture, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 270 degrees F. Remove mixture from heat.
4. Mix in vanilla extract and salt until smooth and combined.
5. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the wells of a candy mold.
6. Freeze until set, at least 2 hours.
7. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
This recipe was modified on 12-12-18.
- Serving Size: 1 caramel
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 44
- Carbohydrates: <1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
Keywords: Low Carb Caramels, Keto Caramels, Sugar-Free Caramels
You’ll need these specialty items: