These Keto caramels candies are a simple grandmotherly treat that you can make yourself at home. And each low carb caramel candy has less than 1g net carbs.
I can’t write about Keto caramels without giving a shout out to Werther’s Originals. (commercial below)
My grandmother never went anywhere without a couple caramels in her purse.
(Or “carmels, like we always pronounced it.)
I remember her handing out carmels during the most boring parts of church. (And there were a lot of boring parts in church.) Now that I’ve foresworn sugar, I was relieved to find a sugar-free recipe for caramel candy. This is the soft melt-in-your-mouth kind of caramel, not the hard kind. I’d put them on the fudgey end of the caramel candy spectrum.
All you need is butter, cream and a little sweetener and you too can make these Keto caramels.
First, you melt the butter over medium-low heat and cook it until it browns. Add your sweetener and pancake syrup and cook until it thickens and becomes gooey, about 3 minutes. Add cream and cook for a minute more. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and whisk until it cools a bit. Then pour it into candy molds and chill for a few hours until they harden.
And that’s all it takes to make this classic treat, beloved by grandparents everywhere.
Low Carb Keto Caramels
These low carb soft caramel candies are a simple grandmotherly treat that you can make yourself at home. And each caramel has less than 1g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 caramels 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar-free pancake syrup or equivalent sugar-free syrup
- 1/3 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Attach a candy thermometer to a medium sized sauce pan. Add butter and melt over low heat. Stir in syrup and sweetener. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
2. Simmer mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 220 degrees F, about 3 minutes. Stir in heavy whipping cream. The mixture will be bubbly.
3. Continue heating mixture, stirring constantly, until it reaches 250 degrees F, about 1 minute.. Remove mixture from heat.
4. Mix in vanilla extract and salt until smooth and combined.
5. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and whisk for several minutes as it cools down.
6. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the wells of a candy mold.
7. Freeze until set, at least 2 hours.
8. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
This recipe was modified on 4-10-2019.
- Serving Size: 1 caramel
- Calories: 42
- Fat: 44
- Carbohydrates: <1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
Keywords: Low Carb Caramels, Keto Caramels, Sugar-Free Caramels