I’m making egg custard today, so predictably, I have a Beatles song stuck in my head.
“I am the Egg Man, I am the Egg Man, I am the Walrus! Goo goo goo joob.”
Luckily, I was able to find the video (above).
The song is even more obtuse than I remembered though. Most likely because it was written by John Lennon over the course of two acid trips. He said that the Walrus referred to a character in Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass. But it turns out that Lennon had it all wrong.
“Later, I went back and looked at it and realized that the walrus was the bad guy in the story and the carpenter was the good guy. I thought, Oh, s***, I picked the wrong guy. I should have said, ‘I am the carpenter.’ But that wouldn’t have been the same, would it?” -John Lennon
I am not so sure that “I am the Walrus” makes any more or less sense than “I am the Carpenter”.
But whatever, let’s talk egg custard.
This recipe is an oldy but a goody. My grandmother used to make it all the time when I was a kid. You’ll need heavy cream, sweetener, eggs, salt and vanilla. You mix it all up, cook it in a water bath, and you’re done. It’s just about the easiest dessert you can possibly make.
Goo goo goo joob!
Low Carb Keto Egg Custard
Low carb egg custard is a very easy to make recipe that has only 3g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: English
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and set a kettle of water to boil.
2. Mix eggs in a medium bowl until light yellow and foamy.
3. Add sweetener, cream, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Fill custard cups with the custard mixture and put the cups in a large casserole or cake pan. Fill the dish with an inch of hot water surrounding the custard cups.
5. Bake the custards at 350 for 30 minutes, or until firm in the center.
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 32
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: <1
- Protein: 5
Keywords: Low Carb Egg Custard, Keto Egg Custard, Sugar-Free Egg Custard
You’ll need this specialty ingredient: