Clap on. Clap off. Clap on, clap off, the Clapper!
I was thinking about that old tv commercial this morning. (below) What do you do when you are too lazy to get up from your chair and turn things off and on? You get the Clapper. I’ve been feeling pretty lazy lately, so the thought did cross my mind. Just think of it, I’d have the world in the palm of my hand!
When I wasn’t being lazy, I made some really delicious low carb flan.
Or “crème caramel” if you are feeling fancy. It’s a simple egg custard with a thin caramel sauce. For the flan custard itself, I adapted a great recipe from the Hungry Elephant.
But I decided to switch up the caramel sauce so that it’s a bit easier to make.
Boiled erythritol has the tendency to crystalize and harden, so I decided to try something different for the sauce. I mixed up sugar-free pancake syrup and a few drops of molasses and that totally did the trick. It might not be the classic recipe, but it sure tastes good.
Ok now that I’ve shared my recipe, I may just look into that time saving, lazy making, miracle invention.
Clap on, clap off, the Clapper!
Low Carb Keto Crème Caramel (Flan)
This low carb flan, also known as crème caramel, is a lovely dessert with only 4g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set a kettle of water to boil. Get out a casserole dish.
2. Mix together the pancake syrup and molasses and split the mixture evenly between 3 ramekins.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix cream, sweetener, salt and vanilla. Mix until the sweetener is dissolved.
4. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk. Slowly add into the cream mixture, stirring until the egg and cream are smooth and combined.
5. Gently spoon the cream mixture into the 3 ramekins on top of the syrup. Some of the syrup will be displaced to the outer edges of the cream, but that’s ok. Place the ramekins into a casserole dish and put it onto the oven shelf. Fill the casserole dish with boiled water so that it surrounds the ramekins in a water bath.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for roughly 45-50 minutes, until the flan is set. It should have a wobbly centre and a firm surface.
7. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then put them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
8. When ready to serve, take a knife and gently cut around the edges of the ramekin.
9. Put a plate on top of the ramekins and then invert it. Jiggle it lightly until the flan releases onto the plate. Serve cold.
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 34
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Flan, Keto Flan, Low Carb Creme Caramel, Keto Creme Caramel
If you liked this flan recipe, then you might like my recipes for Lemon Flan, Chocolate Pudding, Flan or Egg Custard
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.