Low Carb Keto French Silk Chocolate Pie
It's a cold and rainy winter's day here in Pittsburgh.
So I'm cheering myself up with some chocolate pie and carpool karaoke. My absolute favorite episode is a rainy day trip around London with Adele. (below) Her personal anecdotes are just the best. Like, "I got drunk three times in a week recently, because Christmas." (Remind me to use that excuse over the holidays.) These two are just delightful together.
And the pie was good too.
It's a low carb take on a classic French Silk pie. My version has a chocolatey pudding filling inside a coconut crust, with whipped cream on top. It's the perfect pick-me-up on a rainy day like today. And it's only got 8g net carb per slice. Not that your non-low carb friends and family will notice. This pie can totally pass for a normal sugary one. No question.
In fact, I think I might just have a second slice of pie.
Low Carb Chocolate Silk Pie With Coconut Crust
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup almond flour
2 large eggs
1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
3 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tablespoonsarrowroot powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (like Lilly's)
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
5 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in large bowl.
3. Add almond flour, eggs, sweetener, and salt to butter mix well. Stir in coconut flour and shredded coconut until a dough forms.
4. Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom and sides of a pie pan, as you would a crumb crust.
5. Using a fork, poke small holes throughout the crust.
6. Bake crust at 400°F for 10 minutes. Cool on the counter as you make the filling.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Whisk the heavy cream and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Add arrowroot powder, salt and sweetener.
9. Bring it to a boil.
10. Reduce to simmer for 1-2 minutes until it thickens like a pudding.
11. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
12. Add the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla to a large bowl and blend with an electric mixer until smooth..
13. Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and blend on low to temper the egg mixture. Add more, bit by bit until all of the pudding mixture is incorporated.
14. Pour into prepared pie shell and cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so they don't burn.
15. Bake for 25 minutes.
16. Cool slightly then refrigerate until completely chilled, 4 hours.
17. Whip the cream and sweetener with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Cover the top of the chilled pie with the whipped cream.
PREP TIME: 20 COOK TIME: 40 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 500 Fat 50g Protein 7g Carbs 14g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 8g