I’m just eating a slice of low carb babka and listening to Kate Bush. The word babka reminded me of her song “Babooshka” so now I’ve got it stuck in my head.
“Babooska” is Kate Bush at her most intense. ( video above)
The song is about a wife who decides to test her husband’s fidelity by pretending to be a woman named Babooska. She sends him letters and ends up seducing him. The irony is that he’s attracted to her because he reminds him of his wife when she was younger. In the video, Kate Bush plays both the wife and Babooska. My favorite parts are when she breaks into Babooska, with wild flowing hair and a strange sort of chainmail bikini. It’s pretty awesome.
But you are probably here about the low carb babka.
So what is babka? It’s an Eastern European Jewish dessert made from a doubled and twisted length of yeast dough that is baked in a loaf pan. It usually contains a cinnamon or chocolate filling.
For the low carb Keto babka we’re making today, I decided to go with a sugar free chocolate filling.
And I used Fat Head dough instead of a yeast bread dough. Fat Head dough, if you haven’t heard of it, is made from mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour and a couple eggs. I based this recipe on a really good babka that I found on Keto Diet Channel. It might sound a bit weird to make bread out of mozzarella cheese, but it tastes really good. Very bread-like. And it brings the carb count for this low carb Keto babka down to just 6g net carbs per slice.
Now that’s some good babka!
Low Carb Keto Chocolate Babka
This is a low carb take on a classic recipe for chocolate babka.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Jewish
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips or equivalent chocolate
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Fat Head Dough:
1. Add chocolate, 5 oz cream cheese and cream to a medium sized microwave safe bowl and cook in 30 second intervals until melted and combined.
2. Stir in cocoa powder, cinnamon, filling sweetener and vanilla and mix well to combine. Set aside.
Fat Head Dough:
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
4. In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, mix together mozzarella cheese and remaining cream cheese. Cook in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until melted and combined.
5. Stir in eggs and mix well to combine.
6. In a medium sized bowl, mix together almond flour, baking powder, dough sweetener and xanthan gum. Slowly add this mixture to the melted cheese and mix well to combine. Towards the end, you’ll need to use your hands. If the dough feels too wet to work with, add more almond flour until it’s the right consistency to roll out.
7. Divide the dough into 2 balls. Place 1 dough ball between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll it out with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
8. Spread half of the chocolate filling on top of the dough. Roll it up tightly into a long log and pinch the ends together. Repeat steps with remaining dough and filling.
9. Form an X with the two dough logs. Twist the logs around each other.
10. Place the dough into the loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Loosely cover the loaf with tin foil and bake for another 35-40 minutes until fully browned.
12. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove and place on a cooling rack. The loaf will be soft when it comes out of the oven, but will firm up as it cools.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 13
Keywords: Low Carb Chocolate Babka, Keto Chocolate Babka, Sugar-Free Chocolate Babka
If you liked this Chocolate Babka recipe, then you might like my recipe for Chocolate Rugelach.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.