This low carb and Keto version of the classic Chinese dish Sweet and Sour Chicken has just 2g net carbs per serving.
Notice anything different?
About my website for instance… Well hopefully you noticed that my website has gotten a make-over. I switched from Squarespace to WordPress. It was a pretty tedious process moving all the pictures and such over to the new site, so I had time to listen to a lot of good music. Here’s one of the things I was listening to. (video below)
It’s a live concert that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers did in Gainesville Florida in 2006.
The Heartbreakers started out in Gainesville, so it was a homecoming for them. Tom Petty played a bunch of his hits and Stevie Nicks even joined him for some of them. All in all a great concert. I highly recommend it if you are doing any busy work.
Like making this low carb sweet and sour chicken, for instance.
It takes a good chunk of time to cut the fat off the chicken, chop it into bite sized pieces, dredge it in flour and fry it. Well I say flour, but I actually used low carb oat fiber to bread the chicken. It’s made from the husk of the oat so it’s all fiber and almost no carbohydrate. Frying it in oil gives it that decadent Chinese restaurant fried taste. And you will love the low carb sweet and sour sauce. It’s a quick sauce you can cook up on the stove in just a couple minutes. Easy peasy.
But now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some free, free fallin to do.
Low Carb Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken
This low carb version of the classic Chinese dish Sweet and Sour Chicken has just 2g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 green bell pepper, large diced
1/2 onion, large diced
1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, fat trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup oat fiber
1 cup coconut oil*
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet over High heat. Add onions and green peppers and saute until just cooked but still crisp, 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 cup coconut oil to the pan, lower the heat to Medium and preheat.
- Set up a breading station: fill one bowl with beaten eggs, and another with oat fiber. Take each piece of chicken and dredge it in the oat fiber. Dip it in the egg and then dredge it in oat fiber again. Set aside on a plate until you are ready to cook them.
- Fry the chicken batches, until browned, turning once. It should take about 1 minute per side. Remove from the pan and drain the oil on paper towels. Salt the pieces of chicken.
- For the sweet and sour sauce: add sweetener, vinegar, tomato paste, coconut aminos or soy sauce and salt to a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. Sprinkle xanthan gum on top and whisk into the sauce. Simmer until sauce has thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower rice. Place rice in a bowl, top it with the veggies, then the chicken and then pour desired amount of sweet and sour sauce on top. Serve immediately.
*For the nutritional info, I estimated the total amount of coconut oil absorbed in frying the chicken as 3 tablespoons.
- Calories: 198
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Low Carb Sweet and Sour Chicken, Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken, Sugar-Free Sweet and Sour Chicken
This recipe would go great with my Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice and some apps like Chinese BBQ Pork and Cabbage Wrapped Dumplings.