This basic Chinese recipe for Shrimp and Cabbage Stir Fry is a low carb and Keto meal that you can throw together in less than 25 minutes.
"Well I...had...the time of my life. And I never felt that way before." - Dirty Dancing
I'm just eating some low carb shrimp and cabbage stir fry and catching up on the old Facebook. Someone just posted the famous dance scene from Dirty Dancing, so now I've got that tune stuck in my head. It's a classic scene though, and I thoroughly enjoyed re-watching it. (It really gets good at minute 2.)
But you are probably here for the low carb shrimp stir fry.
This recipe actually goes by several names. Some people call it an "egg roll in a bowl", while others call it "crack slaw". I'm going to stick with the purely descriptive "stir fry", if you don't mind. But it really is addictive so I won't fault you for equated it with crack cocaine.
So what's in this shrimp and cabbage stir fry?
It's got a base of thinly sliced cabbage, with red bell peppers, and shrimp thrown in. And it has a lovely Asian flavored sauce made from garlic, fresh ginger, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sweetener and soy sauce. The total carb count for this meal is 10g net carbs, and you can throw it together in less than 25 minutes. Which is good.
Because you'll have a little time left over to bask in the glory of Patrick Swayze's dance moves.Print
Shrimp and Cabbage Stir Fry [Low Carb & Keto]
This basic Chinese recipe for Shrimp and Cabbage Stir Fry is a low carb meal that you can throw together in less than 25 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Chinese
Str Fry Sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1-2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
2 teaspoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
12 oz peeled, de-veined uncooked shrimp
8 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
1. Combine all Stir Fry Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2 Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or wok over Medium High heat until shimmering.
3. Add red bell peppers and cook until softened, 3 minutes.
4. Add shrimp to the pan and cook until opaque and contracted, 3 minutes.
5. Remove shrimp and peppers from the pan and set aside.
6. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and heat over Medium High heat. Add half of the cabbage and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Add remaining cabbage and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Move the cabbage to the side of the pan and add the Stir Fry Sauce. Simmer for 1 minute. Then stir into the cabbage and cook for another minute.
8. Add shrimp and red peppers back into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes to re-heat.
9. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
- Calories: 219
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 21
Keywords: Keto Shrimp and Cabbage Stir Fry, Keto Shrimp Egg Roll in a Bowl, Keto Shrimp Crack Slaw