Low Carb Keto Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
I can't eat marshmallows without thinking about that classic scene from Ghostbusters. (below)
It's the final battle and the Ghostbusters were told to choose the form of their destructor.
They all emptied their minds except Ray, who thought of the most innocent thing he could imagine: the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. So a 100 foot tall marshmallow man attacks Columbus Circle. It's great to re-watch, if only for the scenes from 1980's New York City. I love all the old taxi cabs.
Today I'm going to share a recipe for low carb chocolate covered marshmallows. It's based on a great recipe from the Keto Diet Blog. You'll need egg whites, unflavored gelatine, powdered sugar-free sweetener, coconut oil and sugar-free chocolate. The recipe yields 16 giant marshmallows, each one with only 1g net carb.
As Venkman would say, "Now there's something you don't see every day."
Low Carb Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 envelopes Knox Unflavored Gelatine
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener to dust the pan
- 4 oz Lilly's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
1. Line a 9 x 9 inch or 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper. Dust the bottom and sides with powdered sweetener.
2. Pour the cold water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the unflavored gelatine on top. Allow to soften for 5 minutes. Add in boiling water and stir to dissolve. Cook over medium heat, stirring until fully dissolved.
3. Using an electric mixer, begin beating the egg whites. Slowly add the cream of tartar, powdered sweetener, vanilla extract and salt.
4. Beat until soft peaks form, 1-2 minutes.
5. Slowly pour the dissolved gelatin into the egg whites. Continue beating until it becomes thick and creamy, 3-5 minutes.
6. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Chill for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
7. Carefully remove from the parchment paper and cut into 16 cubes.
8. Mix together chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir to combine. Repeat until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
9. Drizzle each marshmallow with chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before serving. Store in an airtight container.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 4 MIN
CHILL TIME: 3 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 marshmallows Calories 80 Fat 6g Protein 2g Carb 6g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 2g