Low Carb Keto Spinach Salad with Warm Candied Bacon Dressing
It's time for some real talk.
This salad is going to take a very long time to make, and at the end of it all, you will have to eat raw spinach. If you are like Popeye regarding spinach, then this is definitely the recipe for you. If not, then are are plenty of easy non-spinach recipes out there. God speed.
If you've made it this far, then I applaud you.
You are clearly a person of refinement and good taste. So you won't mind all the steps to this recipe. You'll need to wash the spinach, boil the eggs, peel the eggs, candy the bacon, cook the onions and mushrooms and finally, cook the dressing. Phew!
But if you follow all those steps, you'll be strong to the fin-ich 'cause you ate your spinach.
Low Carb Spinach Salad with Warm Candied Bacon Dressing
- 12 oz bacon
- 1/3 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 cup finely sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- several grinds fresh black pepper
- 6 oz (about 8 cups) baby spinach
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) white button or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with tin foil and put a baking rack on top.
2. Add the eggs to a small sauce pan and fill with water to one inch above the eggs. Bring the water to a boil. After it boils, turn of the heat and cover the pan. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then drain the eggs. Dunk the eggs in cold water to cool. Peel the eggs and slice them.
3. Add the sweetener to a large shallow bowl. Reserve 2 slices of bacon for later.
4. Dip each slice of the remaining bacon into the sweetener mixture and thoroughly coat both sides.
5. Place on the prepared baking rack. (Save the remaining sweetener for the dressing.) Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and lightly browned. After the 20 minute mark, check every 5 minutes to make sure it's not burning. Once it's done, chop 7 slices of the bacon into bits. Eat the rest on the sly.
6. Place the 2 slices of reserved bacon in a large nonstick skillet and fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes Set the bacon aside to eat another day.
7. Add the shallots to the pan of bacon grease and cook until softened, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
8. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 8 minutes on medium heat. Remove from the pan and set aside.
9. Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the sweetener in a small sauce pan. Add three tablespoons of the bacon grease from the candied bacon cookie sheet. Cook over medium heat, stirring until fully combined.
10. Coat the spinach in the dressing. Toss with the mushrooms and shallots. Sprinkle the bacon bits on top.
PREP TIME: 15 COOK TIME: 50 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 375 Total Fat 31g Protein 20g Carb 2g Fiber <1g Net Carbs 2g