This yummy low carb and Keto cereal has just 97 calories and less than 1g net carbs. Not too shabby for a bowl of bran flakes.
I should mention at the outset, that there is no bran in these bran flakes.
I should probably have put air quotes around it. We’re making “bran” flakes today. Yep, that’s a lot more accurate.
The low carb cereal we are making today is actually composed of Almond Flour, Flax and Hemp Seeds and, how should I put this?
I’ll just say it. The secret ingredient is Parmesan Cheese. But don’t knock it before you’ve tried it! You don’t actually taste the cheese in this cereal at all. But it does bind the ingredients together quite nicely.
Here, let me just show you.
To make these “bran” flakes, you start by mixing together 1/4 cup Almond flour, 3 TB Flaxseed Meal, 1 TB Hemp Seeds, 2 TB Sugar-Free Sweetener, 2 TB Parmesan Cheese and 1/8 tsp Salt in a medium sized bowl.
Add 1 TB water and mix well to combine. Let it rest for a few minutes so that the water can be absorbed.
Press the dough into a ball and place it on top of a silpat silicone mat. Cover with a piece of parchment paper and roll the dough out as thin as you can.
Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 6-8 minutes until the edges of the dough just start to brown. Remove the pan from the oven and open the oven door to let out all the heat. Then pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees F.
Let the dough cool on the pan for 20 minutes and then crumble it into flakes.
Bake in the 225 degree F oven for 35-45 minutes until the flakes are medium brown in color. Leave the flakes out, uncovered, for the next 12 hours to allow cereal to crisp up more.
And that’s about all there is to it.
Add a few berries and pour some nut milk on top and you’ll have yourself a healthy low carb breakfast. This yummy low carb cereal has just 97 calories and less than 1g net carb. Not too shabby for a bowl of bran flakes.
Sorry, I meant “bran” flakes.
Bran Flakes Cereal [Low Carb & Keto]
This yummy low carb cereal has just 97 calories and less than 1g net carbs. Not too shabby for a bowl of bran flakes.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 53
- Total Time: 1 hour 18 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
1/4 cup super fine almond flour
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (the very fine kind that come in a can)
1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F and get out some parchment paper, a large cookie sheet, a silpat silicone mat* and a rolling pin.
2. In a medium sized bow, mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the water and allow the dough to to rest for 10 minutes to allow the water to be absorbed.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and roll it out between the silmat mat and the parchment paper. Roll it out as thin as you can go, about a 1/6 of an inch.
4. Bake in the 300 degree F oven for 6-8 minutes until the edges are just beginning to brown. Take out of the oven and open the oven door to let all the heat out. And then pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees F
5. Let the dough cool on the pan for 20 minutes until it is firm enough to handle. Break the dough into flakes.
6. Bake in the 225 degree F oven for 35-45 minutes until the flakes are a medium brown. Check in at minute 25 to make sure that the flakes haven’t browned too quickly.
7. Leaf the flakes out, uncovered for the next 12 hours to allow the flakes to crisp up even more.
*You can use another piece of parchment paper for the bottom layer but there will be more chance that the dough will burn.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 11`
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 6