This recipe for Keto Muddy Buddy Mix is truly a treat. It’s a retro low carb dessert or snack with just 5g net carbs per serving.
“I never knew that rocks could be so delicious!” – my daughter
Ok, I’ll admit it. My family has been ragging on this recipe for Keto Muddy Buddy Mix. I get it, they look like rocks. But they taste amazing!
And their pebble-like appearance didn’t stop my family from chowing down on them, I might add.
This is truly saying something. My kids rarely deign to eat the “diet food” that I make every day. But for some reason, these low carb Muddy Buddies passed muster with these bozos.
The idea for this low carb recipe came from the back of a cereal box.
Yep, I found a recipe for “Gluten-Free Chex Muddy Buddies” on the back of a box of Corn Chex. It was made from Corn Chex, coated with a mixture of chocolate and peanut butter and then dusted with powdered sugar.
Luckily, there are low carb substitutes for all of these ingredients.
I used sugar-free peanut butter and sugar-free chocolate chips for the coating. I sprinkled the muddy buddies with Confectioner’s Swerve instead of powdered sugar. And for the Corn Chex, I used… pork rinds.
Yes, pork rinds. But hear me out!
Pork rinds are one of the very few crispy snacks available on low carb diets, and crunchiness is key to mimicking cereal. But coated with chocolate and peanut butter, you don’t taste the pork rinds at all. Honestly.
If you could taste the pork rinds, my persnickety family would have been the first to let me know.
Muddy Buddy Mix
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 4
- Total Time: 29 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Microwaved
- Cuisine: American
1 (3.5 oz) bag unflavored pork rinds
1/4 cup sugar-free peanut butter
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 oz Lilly’s Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips or equivalent
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Confectioner’s Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Cut the pork rinds into bite sized pieces
2. Add peanut butter, chocolate chips and butter to a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every time until fully melted and combined, 2-3 minutes.
3. Spread the mixture on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet in a single layer. Chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 cup powdered sweetener over the muddy buddies.
5. Use a pancake turner to lift the mixture and coat with powdered sweetener. Repeat 3 more times with remaining powdered sweetener.
STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS ARE BELOW THE RECIPE
- Serving Size: 1 oz
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6