Low Carb Keto Coconut Panna Cotta with Raspberry Chia Jam
Hey, mambo, mambo Italiano!
Today we're going to make panna cotta, so I thought I'd start with a Sofia Loren mash-up to put us in the mood for Italian food. (below)
This simple dessert comes to us from Northern Italy.
Panna cotta is made from a combination of cream, sugar and gelatin. The earliest recipes for panna cotta used simmered fish bones to get the collagen needed for it to gel. (Ew!) But the panna cotta we'll make today just uses powdered gelatin. (Phew! That's better.)
The name panna cotta literally means "cooked cream".
And there really isn't much more to it than that. I based this low carb recipe on a wonderful coconut panna cotta that I found on the Keto Diet Blog. Then I topped it with a simple jam made from raspberries, chia seeds and sugar free sweetener. The result is a delicate creamy dessert with only 5g net carbs. It's enough to make you want to dance.
Might I suggest the mambo, the mambo Italiana...
Low Carb Coconut Panna Cotta with Raspberry Chia Jam
1 envelope (2 1/2 teaspoons) Knox unflavored gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1. Pour unfavored gelatin over a small bowl with 1/4 cup cold water. Allow to soften for at least 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine cream, coconut milk and sweetener in a medium sized saucepan. Heat it up over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
3. Stir softened gelatin into the hot cream mixture and stir until fully dissolved. Stir in vanilla extract.
4. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
5. Pour the liquid into 4 glasses or custard cups and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. Add raspberries and 1 tablespoon water to a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and chia seeds. Test for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
8. Top panna cotta with raspberry jam and serve.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 10 MIN CHILL TIME: 2 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 352 Fat 35g Protein 4g Carb 8g Fiber 3g Net Carbs 5g