If there is one thing I’ve learned on this low carb adventure, it is this: When in doubt, wrap it in cabbage.
So far my most popular recipes are, somewhat surprisingly, cabbage wrapped pork dumplings and stuffed cabbage rolls. And I aim to please, so today I came up with a recipe for cabbage wrapped chicken enchiladas.
And the enchiladas turned out really well.
Especially compared to normal people food. Normal enchiladas have carb counts of anywhere from 40-60g per serving. But these little veggie packed beauties only have 3.5g net carb per enchilada. Muy bueno!
To make these low carb cabbage wrapped chicken enchiladas, you begin with the enchilada sauce.
You mix up a quick sauce using canned tomato sauce and Mexican spices. Then you boil some savoy cabbage leaves and fill them with a mixture of pulled chicken, cheese and some of the enchilada sauce. Cover the enchiladas with more sauce and cheese and then bake until the cheese is all melty and delicious. And you are done.
It’s just one more low carb recipe brought to you by the mighty power of cabbage.
Low Carb Keto Cabbage Wrapped Chicken Enchiladas
These low carb and Keto cabbage wrapped chicken enchiladas only have 3.5g net carb per enchilada. Muy bueno!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 1/2
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/2 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 1/3 cup cooked pulled chicken
- 1 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
7 savoy cabbage leaves (from one head of cabbage)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set a large pot of water to boil.
2. Add all enchilada sauce ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until ready to use.
3. Add the cabbage leaves to the pot of boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from water and dry the leaves.
6. Take a sharp paring knife and slice half of the hard middle rib off of the cabbage leaves. This is to make the leaves thinner and more pliable.
5. For the filling, mix chicken with 1/2 cup enchilada sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
6. Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch casserole dish.
7. Add 1/3 cup filling to the middle of a cabbage leaf. Roll the thin sides of the leaves in. Roll the rib side next, like you would a burrito. Arrange the enchiladas in the casserole dish.
8. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella on top.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 46
Keywords: Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas, Keto Chicken Enchiladas, Paleo Chicken Enchiladas