Today we’re going to go back in time, to celebrate the classic iceberg lettuce wedge salad.
And as long as we’re time travelling, I thought I’d share a strange commercial from 1971 that I just found. (video below)
It stars famous sexy lady Joey Heatherton. She is here to do two things, shake her booty and sell Serta mattresses. It’s completely bananas.
But let’s continue back in time to the 1950’s and 60’s when the wedge salad was all the rage.
Time was, iceberg lettuce was the only game in town. You just didn’t see the varieties of lettuce that we are used to today. But people back then made the most of it, slathering their iceberg lettuce with creamy salad dressing and topping it with bacon, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, onions, cheese crumbles, you name it. And luckily for us, the wedge salad is relatively low carb. One salad has just 4g net carbs.
What do you think about that, Joey Heatherton?
Low Carb Keto Wedge Salad
This is a low carb take on a classic wedge salad. It’s a kicky retro appetizer with just 4g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 3 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 4 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese or feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1. Place eggs in a medium sized sauce pan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain, cool in ice water and peel. Dice the eggs.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy, 8-10 minutes. Turn frequently. Drain the bacon on a paper towel covered plate. Crumble.
3. You can use either store bought or homemade Ranch dressing for this recipe. Store bought dressing has about 2g net carbs versus homemade which has 1g. Ruled Me has a great recipe here.
3. Remove the outer edges from the head of lettuce. Trim the stem slightly to get rid of any brown spots. Cut the lettuce into quarters, keeping the stem intact to hold the leaves together.
4. Add a quarter of the head to a medium sized salad plate. You can either place it on its side or balanced on the curved edge. Drizzle the lettuce with dressing. Sprinkle 1/4 of the bacon bits, hard boiled eggs, cheese, scallions and tomatoes on top. Repeat with remaining lettuce quarters and topping ingredients.
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Low Carb Wedge Salad, Keto Wedge Salad, Paleo Wedge Salad
If you liked this salad recipe, then you might like my recipes for Lebanese, Spinach or Kale Salads.