Try saying low carb Keto Mini Pepper Poppers with Bacon and Caramelized Onions 5 times fast.
I'm going to be straight with you.
Today is shaping up to be a bad day. I made one mistake after another this morning as I was making these low carb mini pepper appetizers. At one point I half dropped the pan and they went tumbling all over each other before I could catch it.
So if the peppers look a bit disheveled, now you know the reason why.
All of which is to say... it's been that kind of day.
But it reminded me of a funny song that an old boss used to play for me when I had days like these.
This was back in 2000, when I worked in the photo department of Yahoo Magazine. Napster was newly a thing, so we had nearly limitless free music all of a sudden. And so my boss would play me this great song by the Flaming Lips called "Bad Days". (video below)
"You've got to sleep late when you can. And all your bad days will end." I love it.
The song helped me turn my day around. And these mini pepper poppers helped too. They may look bedraggled, but they taste AMAZING. And they are easy to pull together for a party too. You just cook up some bacon and onions, mix them with cream cheese and stuff them inside sweet mini peppers. Bake them up topped with shredded cheese, and soon you'll have a killer app with only 1g net carb each. So pop a couple pepper poppers, why don't you?
And all your bad days will end.
Low Carb Mini Pepper Poppers with Bacon and Caramelized Onions
Try saying Low Carb Keto Mini Pepper Poppers with Bacon and Caramelized Onions 5 times fast.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 34
- Total Time: 49 minutes
- Yield: 22 poppers 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
4 slices bacon, diced
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ teaspoon black pepper
11 mini sweet peppers, cut in half and seeds removed
⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over Medium High heat. Add bacon and cook until browned and crispy, 5-7 minutes.
3. Place bacon on paper towels to drain the fat.
4. Pour the excess fat out of the pan, leaving just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
5. Cook onions in the bacon grease over Medium High heat until browned, 5-7 minutes.
6. Mix together cream cheese, onions, black pepper and half of the bacon in a medium sized bowl.
7. Fill each pepper with the cream cheese mixture and add to the cookie sheet.
8. Sprinkle cheese and remaining bacon on top of each pepper.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melty and peppers are somewhat wilted.
10. Can be served hot or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 2 poppers
- Calories: 119
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4
Keywords: Low Carb Poppers, Keto Poppers, Paleo Poppers