If you want to know why I love the Internet so much, it’s this right here:
I did a search for “pistachio gif” and found an embarrassment of riches.
I found cartoon pistachios hopping about. I found a cat dressed up as a pistachio playing the piano. But the very best was this one of PSY, the Gangnum Style guy, doing his famous horsey dance past four giant stripping pistachios. Slow clap, Mr. PSY. You sir, have won the Internet once again.
So if you haven’t guessed it yet, today we’re going to make some low carb pistachio cookies.
This recipe is a low carb take on a pecan sandy. But I’ve substituted in pistachios for a little extra panache. The cookies are made primarily of almond flour and oat fiber, so the carb count is just 1g net carb per cookie.
Now, I know that oats are off limits for low carb and Keto dieters, but there is no need for concern.
Oat fiber is actually made from the pure fiber husk of the oat, so it’s got zero net carbs. Much like shirataki noodles, oat fiber is virtually non-digestible, and doesn’t provide any carbohydrates or energy. It passes right through you like a ghost.
Or like PSY riding a giant pistachio.
Pistachio Shortbread Cookies [Low Carb & Keto]
These low carb and Keto pistachio shortbread cookies make for the perfect gluten free dessert. And each cookie has just 1g net carb.
- Prep Time: 35
- Cook Time: 11
- Total Time: 46 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
3/4 cup super fine almond flour
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons oat fiber
5 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
5 tablespoons roasted salted pistachios, chopped
1. Sift together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, vanilla and half of the dry ingredients with an electric mixer.
3. Mix in egg.
3. Mix in remaining dry ingredients.
4. Fold in pistachios.
5. Roll into a tube that is 5″ long and 2″ wide. If the dough cracks, just pack it tighter and smoosh out cracks.
6. Cut a large piece of parchment paper that is big enough to cover a large cookie sheet. Roll the dough up in the parchment paper and freeze in the freezer for 30 minutes.
7. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Unroll the parchment paper and put the dough on a cutting board. Flip over the parchment paper so the clean side is up and cover a large cookie sheet with it.
9. Cut the dough into 1/3″ rounds and place on the cookie sheet.
10. Bake for 8-11 minutes until edges are just turning golden brown. Rotate the cookie sheet halfway through cook time. Keep a close eye on the cookies for the last few minutes because they brown quickly.
11. Allow to cool on the pan for at least 20 minutes before picking them up. They come out of the oven very soft, but will crisp up and harden as they cool.
12. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 98
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 3
Keywords: Low Carb Pistachio Cookie, Keto Pistachio Cookie, Gluten Free Pistachio Cookie
If you liked these low carb cookies, then you might like my recipes for Molasses, Peanut Butter or Compost Cookies.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.5