Greetings fro-yo lovers.
Today I’m going to share a recipe for Low Carb Strawberry Frozen Yogurt, but first, I’m going to do something I rarely do, and that is wax poetic on the joys of the farmer’s market. That subject is number 3 on the list of things that we food bloggers love to talk about, just below dogs and foods that their husbands love to eat.
But I can’t help it!
Just look at these strawberries that I scored at the farmer’s market yesterday. I’ve been popping these beauties like candy. And today I used them to make one of the most delicious things that I have ever posted on this blog: strawberry frozen yogurt. So let me show you how I made it.
You’ll need just five ingredients: Greek yogurt, heavy whipping cream, sugar-free sweetener, gin or vodka and fresh strawberries.
Start by sprinkling a 1/2 cup sugar-free sweetener on 2 pounds of fresh strawberries.
Mix the strawberries with the sweetener and cover it with plastic wrap. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour to macerate and release their juices. Stir every 15 minutes or so.
Add strawberries and liquid to a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt, 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons gin or vodka. Puree the mixture until smooth, 30 seconds.
The yogurt mixture should be very cold, but if it isn’t, you’ll need to refrigerate it until it is. Churn it in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions, usually 20-35 minutes.
The frozen yogurt will come out of the machine with the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Either eat it immediately (and trust me, you will want to) or freeze it in a resealable container for 3-4 hours until hardened.
After chilling the frozen yogurt for several hours, it will be very hard. Allow it to soften on the counter for 10-20 minutes before scooping it out.
And that is all there is to making your own frozen yogurt at home.
Now, I know that fro-yo is often seen as the poor man’s ice cream. That’s because the fat content is much lower than ice cream. But fear not, low carb dieters! This recipe includes one whole cup of heavy whipping cream, so it’s got enough fat to compete with ice cream.
Yep, this low carb frozen yogurt could go head to head with normal sugary ice cream and come out the victor.
And because this recipe uses a sugar-free sweetener instead of sugar, it’s only got 84 calories and 4g net carbs per scoop. Not too shabby, if you ask me. But it’s not only me who is in love with this strawberry frozen yogurt, my husband loved it too.
Let me take 4 paragraphs to tell you all about it!
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe for Low Carb Strawberry Frozen Yogurt might be the most delicious dessert on this site. And each scoop has just 84 calories and 4g net carbs. It’s really really good.
- Prep Time: 1:10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Churned
- Cuisine: American
2 pounds fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
2 cups plain non-nat Greek yogurt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons gin or vodka*, optional
1. Add strawberries to a medium sized bowl and sprinkle sweetener on top. Mix well.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to macerate. Stir every 15 minutes or so.
3. Add strawberries, strawberry liquid, yogurt, cream and gin or vodka to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, 30-60 seconds. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. The amount of sweetener you’ll need is based on how sour the strawberries yogurt that you use are.
4. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions, usually from 20-35 minutes. The frozen yogurt will be the consistency of soft serve ice cream when it’s done.
5. Add to a resealable container and freeze for 3-4 hours until hardened enough to scoop.
6. The frozen yogurt will be very hard after several hours. Leave it on the counter to soften for 10-20 minutes before scooping it out.
* Resist the urge to add more alcohol. It will turn the frozen yogurt into slush.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 84
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
Keywords: Low Carb Strawberry Frozen Yogurt, Keto Strawberry Frozen Yogurt, Sugar-Free Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
If you liked this low carb frozen dessert, then you might like my recipes for No-Churn Vanilla, Rhubarb Cobbler or Butter Pecan Ice Cream.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.8