Today I’m going to share a quick and easy recipe for low carb chocolate lava cake. I’ve spent the morning trying out different methods for cooking these lava cakes. And I will tell you, I haven’t had this much fun with lava since I was a kid.
So let’s just get to it, shall we?
Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees F and spraying a ramekin or mug with cooking spray.
Sift together 2 TB cocoa powder, 1 1/2 TB sweetener and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
Beat an egg with an electric mixer until pale yellow and bubbly.
Mix in 1 TB heavy whipping cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
Quickly whisk in 1 TB melted butter.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the electric mixer. Pour into the prepared mug.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top of the cake is set but still wiggly. Or microwave the mug for 45-60 seconds until set but still jiggly.
It’s easiest to eat the cake right out of the mug, but if you are feeling fancy, you can remove it. Just top the mug with a small plate or saucer and then invert it. Carefully bang the mug and plate against the counter a few times until the cake releases.
Oh my goodness, I sure ate a lot of chocolate cake today, testing the recipe out.
Takeaways? Baking the lava cakes in the oven won the day. But surprisingly, the microwave version was pretty darn good too. It is spongier than the baked version and doesn’t have the same crackly skin on top that you get from baking a cake. (The image above was baked and the image below was microwaved.) But whether you choose the 20 minute baked version or the 5 minute microwave version, I am sure you are going to love these low carb chocolate lava mug cakes.
Ok, if you’ll excuse me, I need to jump from my sofa to my arm chair to avoid all this floor lava.
Chocolate Lava Mug Cake [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe is a fast cheap and out of control low carb lava cake. You can bake it in the oven or cook it in the microwave. Either way its’s a quick chocolatey treat with only 4g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 mug cake 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a ramekin or mug with cooking spray.
2. Sift together cocoa powder, sweetener and baking powder into a medium sized bowl.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg with an electric mixer until pale yellow and bubbly.
4. Beat in heavy whipping cream and vanilla.
5. Quickly whisk in melted butter.
6. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour into the prepared mug.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top of the cake is set but still wiggly. Or microwave the mug for 45-60 seconds until the cake is set but still jiggly.
8. It’s easiest to eat the cake right out of the mug, but you can also remove it. Just top the mug with a small plate or saucer and then invert it. Carefully bang the mug and plate against the counter a few times until the cake releases.
- Serving Size: 1 mug cake
- Calories: 253
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 8
Keywords: Low Carb Lava Cake, Keto Lava Cake, Low Carb Chocolate Cake, Keto Chocolate Cake
If you liked this low carb chocolate dessert, then you might like my recipes for French Silk Chocolate Pie, Chocolate Hazelnut Souffles, or Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.