It might seem a bit early to be stressing out about Thanksgiving, but there is no time like the present.
Low carb Thanksgivings can be so dispiriting. You’re surrounding by tempting, yet carbohydrate filled classics. Like green bean casserole. Green beans should be an easy go-to food for low carbers. But no! Green bean casserole is just swimming in soup and fried onions.
Why must they sully the green beans like that? Why?
Well I am happy to report that my fretting has paid off. I’ve pieced together a low carb version of green bean casserole that might actually be better than the original. It has all the mushroomy goodness with less than half the carbs.
Now all I need to worry about this Thanksgiving are the politics.
Saturday Night Live still has the best advice on that score. (video above)Print
Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole
This Thanksgiving recipe for low carb green bean casserole has just 6g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 12 oz green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons super fine almond flour
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- pam or similar cooking spray
1. Grease an 8 x 8 inch or similar sized casserole dish*.
2. Boil green beans for 3 minutes until crisp tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Fry bacon in a large frying pan, then remove and drain on paper towels, leaving grease in pan.
4. Add butter to the bacon grease and cook the onion for 1 minute over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 more minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 4 more minutes.
6. Combine green beans, onions and mushrooms in a medium sized bowl. Add the sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon and mix well. Transfer to the greased casserole dish.
7. Mix the almond flour and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the casserole. Spray the topping with cooking spray.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. If the top is golden then you are done. If it”s not then turn on the broiler for a few minutes until it becomes golden.
*For a standard 9 x 13 inch casserole, you’ll need to double the recipe.
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Low Carb Green Bean Casserole, Keto Green Bean Casserole, Paleo Green Bean Casserole
If you liked this low carb side dish, then you might like my recipes for Twice Baked Cauliflower, Roasted Broccoli and Butternut Squash or Cranberry Sauce.