This is a low carb take on the classic Russian dish: Beef Stroganoff. It’s a hearty mixture of steak, egg noodles and mushrooms, enveloped in a dreamy sour cream sauce. And each serving of this decadent Keto dinner has just 6g net carbs.
Hello! Or dasvidaniya, as the Russians say.
Today I’m going to share a low carb recipe for Beef Stroganoff, the most comforting of comfort foods. But first, I want to tip my hat at the originator of this recipe, Pavel Stroganov, the handsome devil you see below. (Is it me, or does he look just like Steve “the Hair” Harrington from Stranger Things?)
(He totally does, but let’s move on.)
The Stroganovs were one of the richest families in Tsarist Russia, in the early 1800’s, when this recipe was created. It is thought to have come from a French chef working for the family. So the chef named it after his boss, Pavel Stroganov, but used the French spelling “Stroganoff”, which is what we use to this day.
The recipe has traveled far and wide in the last 200 years.
You can find some version of Beef Stroganoff just about everywhere, and everybody makes it a little bit differently. But for the Keto Beef Stroganoff recipe that we are going to make today, I decided to keep it to the most common American ingredients: beef sirloin, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sour cream and egg noodles.
Well, yes, but not the kind you might be thinking of. These are homemade noodles that are literally made from eggs, cream cheese and a high protein low carb flour. I used a version of the noodles made with Psyllium Husk Powder for this recipe, but you can also make the egg noodles with Lupin Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, or no flour at all.
Are there any other sides that go well with Keto Beef Stroganoff?
Can you use ground beef to make this low carb Beef Stroganoff?
Classic stroganoff has bite sized pieces of steak, but if you want to use ground beef and cut down on the prep time, then I will look the other way. No judgement.
What are the carbs in Beef Stroganoff?
In regular Beef Stroganoff with egg noodles, you are looking at a meal with 50-60g net carbs. But luckily, this low carb and Keto version has just 6g. Soooo much healthier. But enough chit chat.
Now I have an inexplicable desire to watch Stranger Things.Print
Keto Beef Stroganoff with Egg Noodles
This is a low carb take on the classic Russian dish: Beef Stroganoff. It’s a hearty mixture of steak, egg noodles and mushrooms, enveloped in a dreamy sour cream sauce.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Russian
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds sirloin or top round beef, dried and thinly sliced into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8oz mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
2 cups beef broth
½ cup sour cream
Psyllium Husk Powder Egg Noodles:
1. Make egg noodles ahead of time, using the recipe found here: https://www.resolutioneats.com/blog/low-carb-keto-psyllium-noodles/
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over Medium High heat. Sear beef in several batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Add more oil as needed. Set beef aside.
3. Add butter to the pan. Add onions to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper to the pan and cook for 1 minute more.
4. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and pour in beef broth.
5. Sprinkle Xanthan Gum over the broth, and quickly whisk it in. Bring to a low simmer, 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time.
6. Measure sour cream and add to a small bowl. Quickly whisk some of the hot broth into the sour cream to temper it. Pour the sour cream mixture into the pan and cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
7. Add beef and any residual juices to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes more.
8. Add noodles and cook until warmed through, 2-3 minutes.
Nutritional Info includes egg noodles
- Calories: 608
- Fat: 42
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 45
Keywords: Keto Beef Stroganoff, Low Carb Beef Stroganoff, Paleo Beef Stroganoff