Today I’m going to share a very simple method for making low carb egg noodles.
It’s from a great recipe that I found on Lowcarb-ology. The recipe uses just three ingredients, eggs, cream cheese and vital wheat gluten, to make more than passable low carb egg noodles. Simmer them up with some sauce or broth and you’ll have a really good thing going.
More interesting than the recipe though, were the prolonged battles happening in the Low Carb-ology comment section.
The main question people had was, “Can I use something other than gluten?” and the author’s answer was “If you don’t want it, just leave it out.” But lordy, it was amazing how worked up people got about that darn gluten! After about the 10th question about a replacement, she just wrote, “G.L.U.T.E.N.”. There was an exciting moment when someone started to hyperventilate because of a previously unknown gluten allergy, though it was pointed out by another commenter that that was not a symptom of a gluten allergy. There were smaller skirmishes about cholesterol, the carb count and the “too eggy” taste of the noodles. But honestly… they are called “egg noodles” and the main ingredient is eggs.
I think people need to manage their expectations a little bit.
Low Carb Keto Egg Noodles
It’s fun to make your own egg noodles at home. All you need are eggs, cream cheese and vital wheat gluten.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- a dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vital wheat gluten, (optional!)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and cover a large rimmed cookie sheet with a Silpat mat.
2. Add the cream cheese, eggs, vital wheat gluten, salt and pepper to a blender and blend for 1 minute on high.
3. Pour the batter onto the Silpat mat. Rock the cookie sheet back and forth until the batter forms a rectangle. The batter will be very thin.
4. Bake at 325F for 5 minutes, or until just set. It should not be browned at all.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before cutting into strips.
6. These are best if they are gently simmered in a sauce or broth for a few minutes.
- Calories: 123
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Egg Noodles, Keto Egg Noodles, Paleo Egg Noodles
I’ve included links in this post for the specialty products that I used. The best prices I’ve found are from Thrive Market which is like the Costco of health food. After you pay a $60 membership fee, you’ll be able to order low carb products at a discount of 25-50%. So the links in the recipe ingredients are links to the less expensive Thrive Market products. But I’ve also included Amazon links below to use if you don’t have a Thrive Market membership. Both kinds of links are affiliate links, so I’ll receive a commission if you buy something. Which is, honestly, a pretty sweet deal.
If you liked this low carb noodle recipe, then you might like my recipe for Lupin Flour Noodles, Cold Noodle Salad, or Pappardelle Bolognese.